I’ve made “refried” beans with other recipes, but this one is the yummiest I’ve tried. And it’s freezer and prep-ahead friendly! I also love that it contains bell peppers because they are a healthy addition, and I personally don’t like them otherwise. I’ve used black beans as well as pinto beans, and both are delicious! I wish I could give proper credit for the original recipe, but I can’t recall who shared it. I’ve changed it to suit my tastes, but it was too good not to share. I use my Instant Pot all the time, and pressure cookers and beans are a perfect match!
Grabbed a quick cell phone picture, just to post the recipe.
- 1 lb (2 cups) dry black beans
- 2 cups chopped bell peppers (I use frozen organic three pepper blend)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp cumin
- 8 cloves garlic (more or less to taste)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- dash of organic kelp granules (optional)
- *1/2 to 1 tbsp kosher salt (to taste, AFTER beans are cooked)
- *1/2 cup olive or avocado oil
- *1 tbsp sugar (optional)
- Sort and rinse the black beans.
- Add beans, peppers, onion, and spices to the Instant Pot with chicken broth.
- Seal IP and set to manual for 35 minutes, NR (natural release.)
- When the pin drops, open the IP and ladle out and reserve much of the cooking liquid.
- Using a hand mixer, blend the bean mixture until smooth, adding back liquid as necessary to achieve a consistency you like.
- Add the salt, olive oil, and sugar, and blend again.
- Put lid back on and cook on manual for an additional 10 minutes, NR.
- Garnish with cheese, avocado, sour cream, or whatever you like with refried beans.
To prep ahead, put the peppers, onions, and spices into a freezer bag. On serving day, add the dry black beans and chicken broth and proceed according to directions above. I haven’t tried cooking the beans and freezing because it’s so easy to cook the day of serving.
PS. Here’s an article that talks about why we add kelp to beans.
Tools used for this recipe:
Glass bowls – I love these pyrex bowls!
Note: Post contains aff. links. Doesn’t cost you anything extra, but I get a small commission if you order through my link.